Lighten up your world just like the glittering lights. Diwali, well-known as the Festival of Lights, is considered to be the most vibrant and joyous celebration. This illuminating festival holds numerous cultural significance for a plethora of people globally. Celebrate the festival with great enthusiasm, as it symbolizes the victory of light over darkness and good over evil. It is a time of coming together and celebrating, even though you live in London. So, are you curious to know about the Diwali celebration in London? Yes, scroll further to get more insights.
Diwali is around the corner, and it is that time of the year when homes are adorned with exotic decorations. Moreover, it is a festival that goes beyond cultural boundaries and allows everyone to experience the vibrant occasion. The event offers diverse delicious culinary, various traditional performances, breathtaking fireworks show making you captivated. British people are whole-heartedly invited in Diwali Events in London, where they can explore the beautiful culture.
Table of Contents
History of Diwali festivals in the UK
A vibrant festival that serves as the famous Hindu festival celebrated all over the world with great zeal, especially in the UK. Diwali has earned huge recognition in the UK since ancient times, and it is celebrated with full energy. But one question might pop up in your mind – What is the history of Diwali in London? Let’s have a look into its answer that depicts wide cultural significance.
- The history of Diwali festivals originated in the 20th century when the first wave of Indian immigrants moved to the UK. And, the immigrants took their cultural heritage with them, especially the Diwali celebration. Initially, it was confined to the Indian community only, but later on, it became a favorite festival of British people.
- Due to the high population of Indians in the UK, Diwali has become a major festival to celebrate. The auspicious festival is celebrated to honor Lord Rama, who returns home after 14 years of exile. It holds a great significance that relates to life.
- As Indians grew in the UK, so did the popularity of Diwali. British organizations and authorities started to show their interest in the vibrant festival. Moreover, celebrations start to occur in varying public places, including halls, parks, or city centers.
- Now, the festival has also become a part of their cultural significance. Many major cities of the UK host grand London Diwali celebrations that capture the attention of numerous tourists. Experience fireworks displays, and traditional performances, along with a festive atmosphere that makes you groovy.
List of 8 Diwali Event which you can’t miss
Diwali’s significance is manifold, as everyone has varying reasons to celebrate the festival. And, in UK, the energetic festival is welcomed with open arms, as the entire city gets alive with plethora of Diwali events. Ranging from exotic street events to traditional ceremonies, UK provides you with the golden chance to explore the Diwali magic. Let’s have a quick look on 8 most well-known Diwali events that creates a memorable experience for you.
A. Diwali event in Square
Experience a vibrant atmosphere during Diwali at Trafalgar Square, a major and exotic landmark. Diwali event on square serves to be a free event that brings everyone together from every community to enjoy the festival. Groove on live music, witness traditional performances, enjoy delicious culinary, and enjoy exotic firework display. And the exotic Diwali Events in London entirely captures the attention of plethora of people.
- Location – Trafalgar Square, Westminster, London, WC2N 5DN.
- Main activities– Live garba, rangoli making, delicious dishes, vibrant decoration, and much more.
B. Diwali event at British Museum
British Museum hosts grand Diwali celebration, offering plethora of visitors to experience rich Indian culture. Enjoy a family friendly celebration that includes various exotic performances and other joyous things. Experience the vibrant Indian culture free of cost and take part in every activity. Make your celebration more enjoyable and memorable that you can cherish for lifetime. Embrace togetherness with other communities, and the event ensures to spread love among people.
- Location – Great Russell St, London WC1B 3DG, UK.
- Main activities – Vibrant dance performances, live music, storytelling, making divas, henna painting, and much more.
C. Diwali celebration at Houses of Parliament
Be a part of the most exotic diwali celebration in london that takes you entirely into the politics. Experience the vibrancy of the festival along with the motivated speeches of politicians that makes the celebration more authentic. Moreover, huge number of people gather to witness the speeches along with various other captivating activities. So, don’t miss out the chance to enjoy diwali celebration at Houses of Parliament.
- Location – London SW1A 0AA, UK.
- Main activities – Cultural performance, speech of politicians, traditional lighting ceremony, and much more.
D. Southall diwali
Southall, also known as Mini India, serves as a home to a huge Indian community. And, during the enormous festival Southall streets come alive with help of glittering decorations and happiness all over the place. Moreover, the resident of the place welcomes the visitors wholeheartedly and offer them with unforgettable moments. Just enter the celebration and experience a feeling of joy rushing all through your body. Ensure to indulge entirely into the Diwali event and experience varying activities.
- Location – Southall, UB1 1AA, UK.
- Main activities – captivating dance performances, shopping traditional items, and much more.
E. Diwali boat cruise on River Thames
Having a desire to experience Diwali in a unique way? Yes, then embark on a boat cruise along River Thames and enjoy the beautiful diwali in london. Moreover, the disco theme might fit the ball, and allows you to groove over varying Bollywood songs. This exotic event makes your celebration more electrifying with your favorite party songs. Dance your heart out while witnessing the captivating decorations.
- Location – Westminster Pier, Victoria Embankment, London SW1A 2JH.
- Main activities – Live dance and music performances, delicious Indian buffet, soothing drinks, panoramic view of various landmarks, and much more.
F. Diwali at Royal Albert Hall
Royal Albert Hall is well-known for its exotic architecture and grandeur, and it hosts the most vibrant festival – Diwali. And the celebration features various mind-boggling activities that make you to groove on the lively music. Royal Albert Hall adds up elegant touch to your festivities Marvel at the majestic structure of the Hall along with getting indulged into the Diwali celebration that leaves a mark on your heart.
- Location – Royal Albert Hall, Kensington Gore, South Kensington, London SW7 2AP, UK.
- Main activities – Contemporary and traditional performances, classical music, theatrical presentations, adorable lighting, and much more.
G. Lantern Parade in Wembley Park
Wembley Park serves as the most vibrant neighborhood, that hosts a enlighten london diwali celebrations via a Lantern Parade. Participants carry exotically designed lanterns and walk via the streets, that creates festive atmosphere everywhere. Parade becomes a delightful experience as the participants indulge into varying sort of activities. Experience dancing culture of India during the parade and make it a memorable one.
- Location – Olympic Way, Wembley HA9 0FA, UK>
- Main activities – Dance and music performance, exotic street food stalls, and much more.
H. Mesmerizing Diwali event at Regent Street
Regent Street serves to be a well-known location for shopping, that looks entirely different during Diwali. Entire street is adorned with glistening lights, making it more vibrant and captivating. Moreover, the atmosphere fills with festive vibes that you can cherish for lifetime. Apart from enjoying the event held at Regent Street, you can buy certain items as per your choice and makes the celebration more cheerful.
- Location – 207 Regent Street, London W1B 3HH.
- Main activities – Live performances, mouth-watering street food, shopping Indian accessories, and much more.
Diwali Celebration at your fingertip
This is the least you can do sitting from your home to celebrate Diwali. Google has made a Diwali Special Google Doodle which lets users light up some Diwali Diyas on Search Engine Result Page. Here’s how you can do it
- Search Diwali on Google
- Click on the Diya placed in the top right corner.
- Light up all the other Diyas by dragging that single diya on other Diyas
Some safety tips
Diwali seems to be one of the biggest Hindu festivals, celebrated with great enthusiasm and zeal all over the world. Every household is adorned with glistening lights and beautiful rangolis during the festival. And, in UK also people also celebrate the festival with high energy, as it offers the feeling oneness. But, during the celebrations, it is pretty mandatory to stay cautious at the diwali celebration in london. Let’s dive into certain safety tips that you require to keep in mind during celebration.
- Ensure to keep divas away from flammable objects.
- Keep children away from divas.
- Avoid loud firecrackers.
- Ensure to maintain a safe distance from the fireworks.
- Dispose of the rubbish or waste properly.
- Avoid wearing of flammable clothing.
- Ensure to go with environment friendly crackers that avoid the surrounding from any harm.
- Celebrate the festival with feeling of love and togetherness.
- Don’t play with dangerous firecrackers.
So, entire UK comes alive during the lighting festival, especially London with numerous Diwali Events in London. Celebrate the energetic and joyous festival while coming together with other communities. Whether you are a tourist or a local resident, the list of events provides a unique experience, depicting the Diwali’s cultural significance. Don’t miss out the golden chance to be a part of these events, as it will leave with cherished moments. Experience lots of love and various exotic performances that leaves a mark on your heart.